Tuesday, March 10, 2015

When I Own a Hummer and Because You Can....

Sometimes these emails are hard to write and some are just gifts from God.  Thank goodness for some people on this earth, consider this piece manna.   

Last week saw me witness an elderly foreigner rebuke a bank teller for her having been asked to move from the preferred lane to another.  It was all a misunderstanding really - prompted by Filipinos not being clear in their instructions - but, it was in his reaction that I was appalled.  

He'd obviously felt slighted - "I'm a preferred client!" - and protested in a rather loud manner.  I was reeeaaally tempted to give him my caring advise, but, decided to withhold and instead left a note addressed to him..."I wish you'd done so in a loving manner.....Filipinos have yet to learn the fine art of excellent customer service, but, they're the nicest people....I've learned that when in Rome, do as the Romans do...."  Yup, funny stuff.  

This exchange was reminiscent of another I was a spectator to - a man berating personnel at Toyota for their slow service.  Again, he may have been right, but, it was the manner that caught my attention - loud and insulting.  

"Mando" is a term used by Filipinos and has its Spanish origin of "control."  It's a direct descendant of our feudal past that those in "power" - the rich and famous and those who look rich and famous - are given the free rein to do what they want - like it's their inherent right.....witness politicians, for example.   

Sometimes it's obvious - the above stories - and most of the time it's subtle...."sir, ma'am, po, opo..."

It's a universal phenom, too, don't worry as an ongoing behavioral experiment at UC Berkeley showed these highlights:

- A rigged game of Monopoly showed that the person "destined" to win became louder, more demonstrative and even consumed more of the chips that were on the table.  

- People driving more expensive cars generally ignored people at pedestrian lanes.

A piece written about the study concluded that "wealth and status seemed to increase one's sense of entitlement (and more likely to prioritize self-interest over the interest of others) while simultaneously decreasing one's empathy and concern for others."   

Fyi, a fascinating 16 minute talk by one of the researchers is on TedTalks - it's a must watch and is here

With the oh so subservient masses here, it's oh so easy for things to get to your head.  I can see that it's easy to act like a jerk....because one, simply, can.  

I guess the key is to know now what kind of person you'll be once you've become a deliriously wealthy individual.  The world, too, is filled with philanthropists - Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are the famous ones - who don't let what they have go to their head.     

I suppose one day I'll own a Hummer (ahhh, probably not), but, I'll sure hope to keep in mind to still stop at crosswalks and should I forget?  Please remind me what a jerk I've become.  I'll thank you for it.

Written October 12, 2014  

No comments:

Post a Comment